For more than 40 years, Shencorp Inc. has been dedicated to providing regional, industrial, and commercial roofing for the Mid-Atlantic region, including Virginia Beach, VA. From new installation to repair and commercial protective roof coatings to S.M.A.R.T. roofing – we get the job done.
We often hear many of the same questions when it comes to commercial roofing. One is: what should I know before I build a new roof? Here are 10 things you need to know before you build a roof:
- Select the right material for your roof. This is so important! You should consider the appearance, price, and lifespan of every material that’s available to you. Decide what’s more important to you: aesthetics or durability (or a combination of the two). Consider each option carefully, and think about the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Choose between peeling off or layering on. This means figuring out whether you’ll remove existing shingles before installing new ones, or layering the new ones right on top of the old ones. Remember that a second layer of shingles adds a bit more stress to your roof, so it’s recommended to peel off the old layer first.
- Closely examine the state of your roof frame. Even if you haven’t had problems with leaking before, it’s always a good idea to inspect the plywood that supports your roof. Replace it if you notice any areas where the sheathing is soft, broken, or disintegrating.
- Consider installing your roof on your own. Though we always recommend going with a professional roofer, if you have the tools and experience at your disposal, you may decide this is the best option for you.
- Choose the right contracting company. Most homeowners choose to hire a professional roofing company, and for good reason. But finding the right contracting company is essential so that you can trust the people installing your roof.
- Remember that roofing is a noisy process. If you, your family members, or your pets are sensitive to loud sounds, you may consider staying elsewhere while your new roof is being installed.
- Ask for a contract with your roofing company. Be diligent and meticulous about your contract; everything should be written down officially.
- Obtain other essential documents you’ll need. You will need at least a building permit and a letter from the contractor’s insurance company.
- Don’t pay until everything is cleaned up. Don’t let your roofers leave if there are nails or other debris in your yard.
- Prevent needing another roof replacement in the near future. Sure, all roofing materials need to be replaced eventually, but the lifespan of a roof can be prolonged with proper maintenance.
If you’re searching for a roofing company that specializes in all things concerning commercial roofing, contact us at Shencorp Inc, proudly serving Winchester, VA, Charlottesville, VA, Waynesboro, VA, Richmond, VA, Virginia Beach, VA, and other parts of the Mid-Atlantic region. Since 1977, Shencorp Inc. has specialized in commercial roofing and commercial protective roof coating services. Since then, we have become the leading choice for industrial and commercial roofing services for customers throughout Virginia.