It’s finally summer, and you know what that means: it’s HOT. We’re already facing record temperatures in parts of Virginia, and we need to be mindful of how the heat affects our places of work, especially our roofs. Like we do in the wintertime with ice and snow, we should maintain our roofs in the summer as well. ShenCorp Total Roofing takes care of all your roofing needs. At ShenCorp, we service areas such as Winchester, VA, Charlottesville, VA, Waynesboro, VA, Richmond, VA, and other parts of the mid-Atlantic region. Since 1977, we have become the leading choice for industrial and commercial roofing services like commercial protective roof coatings for customers throughout Virginia. Give us a call today!
So how does this heat affect our roofs? Well, there are a lot of consequences and many of them are serious.
- UV light: Intense light from the sun can cause roofing material to decay over time. Wood could creak and split, shingles can buckle and fall off, and protective oils can dry out. These can cause holes and tears in the roof.
- High temperatures: Just like how heat affects our bodies, it affects our roofs too. The powerful heat from the sun can cause roofing materials to wear down faster.
- Humidity: High humidity, like high temps, can also impact your roof. Moisture can cause mold to grow and spread over and through the roof and into your business.
- Thermal shock: Thermal shock is simply a drastic change in weather. This means that it’s really hot during the day and drastically cooler at night. This fluctuation can cause your roof to buckle and warp as time goes on.
Protecting your roof in the summer
Luckily, there are some simple steps you can take to protect your roof.
- Monitor your roof: check for any warping or buckling, any signs of mold or decay, missing shingles or rotted wood.
- Attic ventilation: this is a simple way to circulate air at the topmost part of your business. Doing so will ensure that your roof stays healthy during the summer.
- Inspections: talking to a specialist is a great way to make sure your roof stays protected in the harsh summer months.
Some business owners fear that summer conditions will result in a terrible roof. Then, they delay the repairs and let the roofing problem get worse. Harsh heat and other summer factors can cause serious issues if not resolved quickly. A roof is your home’s protective shield. Take care of it the best you can.
If your business is located in the trans-Atlantic area in Virginia, give Shencorp a call today to get started. We always recommend applying protective coatings to your roof; it will save you time and money in the future. Let us help you help yourself!